Choosing whether or not to do a first look on your wedding day can make a huge difference in your wedding day timeline, as well as the emotion you feel. More and more couples are opting to do a first look, but I still go to many weddings where couple choose to see each other for the first time at their ceremony. Having photographed both types of weddings and seen the difference a first look can make on your wedding day, I have put together a list of a few pros and cons to help you decide which option may be best for you!
REASONS TO DO A FIRST LOOK
- The first look helps to get rid of nervousness you may be feeling, almost every couple that has done one has commented to me about how much more relaxed they are.
- You get time together! Things can get crazy and it may seem like you don’t have the time to stop and have a real moment alone together after the ceremony. Having a first look and taking photos before the ceremony gives you time to simply hang out together and with your friends.
- You can take almost all your photos before the wedding, so the only photos that need to be taken afterwards are family portraits. This means your guests don’t have as long to wait until the reception, and you won’t feel rushed after the ceremony.
REASONS COUPLES CHOOSE TO NOT HAVE A FIRST LOOK
- The first moment you see each other that day will be the exact moment you are coming down the aisle.
- If your ceremony time is earlier in the day, the lighting will be softer at if we take photos afterward closer to sunset.
- Many couples opt to do a “first touch” around a corner where you get to hold hands and talk, read a letter to each other, or pray without seeing the other person.
WHEN IT’S ALL SAID AND DONE
Having a first look is a great way to make more time for photos while taking some stress of of you on your wedding day, however, I have many couples who prefer to see each other at the ceremony for the first time and that is okay!
Your wedding day is about you two, and we will do whatever you are most comfortable with.
Whether you choose to have a first look or not, I am happy to come alongside you and create a customized timeline that allows you to experience your day to the fullest and ensure we have time to get incredible photos.
Until next time,